410: Letter Quest Remastered for the PC, PS4, and Vita Review



(If you like what you see, you can go to camseyeview.biz to see more of my work on video game reviews, editorials, lists, Kickstarters, developer interviews, and review/talk about animated films. If you would like, consider contributing to my Patreon at patreon.com. It would help support my work, and keeps the website up. I did get a review copy of this game, but got no financial compensation for reviewing the game. I got the code and nothing else. Thanks for checking out my work, and I hope you like this review!)

I recently got a hold of a few review codes for a bunch of interesting and varied indie games. However, two of those were essentially typing games. It’s been years since I played a video game/edutainment title that was worth a hoot. I decided to tackle the first one this time with Letter Quest Remastered, a 2D RPG-style game developed by Bacon Bandit Games. I received a code to check it out on the PlayStation 4 by the publisher Digerati Distribution. So, how is it? Well, let’s find out.



There really isn’t much to the overall plot, so I will combine it with the gameplay segment of this review. You play as the grim reapers Grimm and Rose, as you make your way through a horde of baddies using the mighty power of spelling! You essentially move to the right until you encounter a baddie with his or her own special attacks and abilities, and you must spell words to defeat them. Depending on the little icons on the letters, this will result in how strong the attack is. You will need to make sure to keep your health in check, and have a few potions to refill your health, due to the, quite honestly, difficult progression of the game. Not only do you have to deal with the baddies, you have to also take into consideration the different letter tiles that are in your possession. There are different tiles that will have different effects, like poison, virus, and so on, that you will have to keep an eye out for while conserving your best letters for words that can cause massive damage to the enemies. As you progress through the game, you will gain items to level-up your abilities from health, different scythes with different abilities, new sub-abilities, and be able to take down the tougher enemies as you make your way through the game. The overall game is about nine hours long with level ratings, side objectives, and two different playable characters giving you reasons to play through the game more than once.



Graphically, the game has solid 2D cartoony graphics with some cute character designs. The music is solid, but nothing I totally remember. I can say that it was good enough to keep me pumped to beat down the next challenge with the power of spelling.



For me, the biggest problem with this game is the feeling of progression. After you go through a rather challenging boss, the game becomes more of a war of attrition than actual strategy. It also feels like you are never given enough letters to make the combat feel fair or balanced, like a game that was meant to be a free-to-play game, but changed at the last second. I can’t even consider this issue to be something of trial-and-error, since that would mean I got the same exact letters each time I fought the boss, but that is not the case. It really drags the game down, and makes the overall experience feel like a chore and a huge pile of luck.



In the end, there really isn’t too much to talk about with Letter Quest Remastered. It has its charm and personality, but I think it needs some major balancing, and to give the player a better chance at combating the incredibly cheap or overpowered bosses and enemies. It’s a cheap game to obtain, so if you decided to get it for your PC or PlayStation 4, I could think of worst games to download, but I wouldn’t say it’s a high priority purchase. If you like these types of games, I think Letter Quest Remastered is one of the better ones, but there is no problem with skipping it for a later date.

This game gets a 5 out of 10.

Comments