Wave Race 64 for the Nintendo 64




Launch titles are important for a console when it’s released. It could either make or break the consoles sales for the first year. Though they aren’t what they used to be, nowadays there are some really good ones like… WAVE RACE 64! I also have noticed I haven’t done that many sport games for my review blog, so this is why I have decided to do a review of one of the better racing games on the Nintendo 64.

The story is well umm… not important. Okay, I’m going to be honest, there isn’t any story. Though for a racing game from Nintendo, it doesn’t really have a story. All you need to know is that you need to beat all the other racers and get in first every time. You also have to move between buoys, and that is basically the total summary of the game.

The game play is of a colorful Jet Ski racing game. You take control of one of four racers. The choices are Ryoto Hayami, Dave Mariner, Ayumi Stewart, and Miles Jester. Each character is different than another in ways, like some are better to control, some are faster, and etc.

The racing tracks are beautiful and fun to race around. This game reminds me of some other fun racing games on the Nintendo 64 like Mario Kart 64, Beetles Adventure Racing, and Diddy Kong Racing. The music is just fun to listen to, and it reminds me of Mario Kart 64 music. I wouldn’t have been surprised if Koji Kondo did the music. Even though he didn’t do the music, I wouldn’t have known if I hadn’t looked it up. Instead, we have Kazumi Totaka who has done music for games such as Luigi’s Mansion, Animal Crossing, Yoshi’s Story, Pikmin 2, Virtual Boy Wario Land, and others. Of course, with any racing game, there are multiple options like a 2-player mode, a challenge mode and etc. I have to say the 2-player mode is really fun, even though a 4-player option would be nice.

The graphics are really impressive. Since the game uses all 64 bits of the game’s hardware power, the game can have really impressive polygons for the day. I haven’t seen a game this impressive on the Nintendo 64 since, well, Beetles Adventure Racing or Banjo Kazooie. For a launch title, the game is really good since only a few of the launch title games are good. The rest are either decent or just terrible.

You know what time it is? It’s time to get on your Jet Ski and ride down the bad parts. There isn’t anything to unlock, which pretty much sucks. In a game, I love to find unlockables like artwork, videos, and etc. In this game though, there isn’t anything to find. The game can get boring if you’re playing alone, and it is my recommendation that you find a friend or someone to come play with you since it will make the game more enjoyable.

The final question is, is the game enjoyable? Yes it is. I can safely say that I would recommend this game to anyone who wants to own a good selection of Nintendo 64 games. Even though this game is fun, I would love to see a sequel with more characters and more tracks and more awesome music.

This game gets an 8 out of 10.

Comments