Retro Saga part 11: Virtua Fighter 2 (Sega Genesis version)





Virtua Fighter is one of the most well known fighting franchises in the gaming world. Not only was Virtua Fighter the first 3D fighter, but it was also one of the more unique fighting games during the late 90’s, when Street Fighter and King of Fighters took the place at the top of the hill. However, there has always been one thing that has baffled me for a while now. Virtua Fighter 2 is a Sega Saturn game, but it also has a port on the Sega Genesis. Now, I am going to review that version to give my honest opinion on it. So what does happen when a 3D series turns 2D? Is it good or bad?

I apologize, but this review is going to be a little shorter than the rest, due to this game being a fighting game and there isn’t much of a story. Unless you can find some story to show me, then I will retype this section of the review in the future. I actually thought about taking this review down due to it not being the 3D version of the game.

Virtua Fighter as you all may know is a 3D fighting game. However, since this is the Genesis version, it was stripped down into a 2D fighter, like Street Fighter. You have your choice of fighters, and the main goal is to, well, what else? Hit the other person until he or she won’t get up. You can also push your opponent off the edge of the ring, which is new to the 2D fighting genre, since you’re pretty much stuck in one area. I don’t think here are any fireballs to speak of, but you can do throws and such so it does have some moves.

The graphics in the game are fine, but this was when the Genesis was on its last legs, and looking at the N64 and Playstation, the game itself doesn’t look that good at all. There is very little music in the game and it just makes the whole game kind of boring.

I guess I already started on it, but I think it’s time to talk about the bad parts of the game. First off, the game moves so sluggishly. Street Fighter 2 moved faster than this game. The fighting mechanic sucks in this game. It feels so stiff and almost unresponsive. The throwing and every other move seemed delayed by a few seconds. The difficulty is just too easy. You can easily just beat the person right off the stage the first 7 fights.

This game is soooooo disappointing. I thought they would do a better job for one of the most recognized fighting game series of all time. I would say that if you see this somewhere, stay away from this game. For now on, there are going to be a list of games that I will do in the future that get a razzy-like award for being incredibly bad games. You know this will be on that list right at the top.

This game gets a 2 out of 10

Comments