Resistance: Fall of Man for the PS3




To be honest, I don’t see the big deal with first person shooters. They all seem just the same, except they have little differences that make them unique. I think Halo is a good game, but to be honest, it doesn’t deserve all the super hype it gets. I also have played the Call of Duty series, and I can see why people like them, but just like with the Grand Theft Auto series, I don’t see the big deal with those games. However, since I am a gamer, I am willing to try any genre except sport games that don’t have Mario on them. This time I will be trying a new franchise known as the Resistance franchise, and this will be a review of the first game in the series. So, will I need to resist this game? Or will I fall for its interesting game play.

The story takes place in a “what if” situation where World War 2 never happened, and something worse did happen. Instead of World War 2, we have an alien invasion by the name of the Chimeras that have taken control throughout most of Europe. You play as Nathan Hale, a soldier in a group of 12,000, sent into Europe to stop whatever is happening, and save the world from the threat of the Chimeras.
The game play is of a first person shooter, where you control Nathan as you go through Europe and kill Chimeras. You have your assortment of guns from WWII, but you can also use the weapons that the Chimeras drop. In some levels, you get to drive a tank that seems invincible, and you get to drive in a jeep with other people. One of the cool new weapons you get, called the auger, can shoot through walls hitting any unsuspecting Chimeras waiting to kill you. The gun also has an alternate fire that can bring up a shield that only auger fire can get through. The fighting in the game can get pretty intense with multiple types of Chimera-like little crawling monsters, and ones that act like attack dogs or zombies dogs come after you, so you’ve got to keep on your toes if you want to stay alive. There are also some skinny Chimera-like enemies that can latch onto you, which always scared the heck out of me each time they latched on and ate my face.

The in-game graphics look amazing and are a good way to show off what the Playstation 3 can do. While not a horror game to begin with, there are a lot of areas that can spook you if you aren’t paying attention. A good example of this is in one level, it’s pitch black and then the epic music appeared. We didn’t realize there were two wolf-like chimeras in the room, and it scared my friend and me when they attacked us. The music is also well done and I would say it’s ‘movie quality’ music. The one who is in charge of the music is David Bergeaud, who has worked on the Ratchet and Clank series, Earth 2, The Outer Limits, and Prince Valiant, just to name a few things he has done. The slide show pictures that are shown during each new level are beautifully detailed, and in black and white, reminding me of a Kens Burns documentary. It’s also interesting since this was made by the people who made Ratchet and Clank, which is a series I will review in the future along with this series, too.

There are a few things with this resistance that don’t stand well with me. As a shooter, I just don’t see anything special with it. I’m not the biggest fps gamer, and I’m not that good at them. This is why I don’t review a lot of fps games. If I did review this game when I played it alone, then I would have done a dishonest review about how stupid or how boring the game is on the single player mode. I am glad I played through it again with a friend, and I enjoyed it with a friend. The AI seems pretty dumb, since they just stand there. They will take cover, but throwing a grenade will just show how stupid they are. The enemy varieties, while looking scary, are pretty much all the same, except for a few enemies. It seems like they didn’t have enough time to finish the game, since they could have done a great job with cut scenes explaining the story so far, instead of doing stuff like Ken Burns.

Overall, I enjoyed playing this game even though I’m not an fps gamer. Even though there are games like Killzone 2 and Resistance 2, this game still comes recommended for your PS3 collection along with the Ratchet and Clank Future games, Uncharted 2 and much much more. Let’s see how this newly announced third game in the series turns out, but before I can do that, I have to try the second game.

This game gets an 8 out of 10

Comments