Retro Saga part 7: Vectorman





To some people, the Sega Genesis was only number 2 in the console race against the Super Nintendo. Now, I do agree the Super Nintendo was better, but I don’t deny that the Genesis did have a lot of good games. I do like the 16-bit Sonic games, but they don’t really grab my attention. There is one game, though, that caught my attention. This little game called Vectorman came out when I was about 5 or so, and I remember seeing commercials for it. Sadly, I never got to play until I got the Genesis Collection for the Playstation 2. So, is this game as good-looking as I remembered? Or has this game not aged well?

The whole plot of the game revolves around this evil robot named Warhead, who declares himself ruler of the now-abandoned Earth. It is up to a lone robot named Vectorman to take down the evil Warhead, and stop all the evil robots under Warhead’s control. I would next talk about the company, but sadly, the company that made it went out of business and I haven’t heard a lot of their games. Let’s just get to the good parts.

The game-play is kind of like Earthworm Jim, since it’s a side scrolling 2-D shooter plat-former. You control Vectorman as you go through levels, going from point A to point B. Your main form of attack is shooting glowing balls at opponents. You can shoot in all directions while running like Contra and Metal Slug. You can also transform into drill and a bomb, and cause some massive damage.
I really like the graphics for the game. They are pretty to look at, and this game is one of those Genesis games that gave the Super Nintendo a run for its money. The music is also fun to listen to and is always upbeat. The soundtrack reminds me of the songs from the Sonic games on the Genesis, which were also entertaining to listen to. The controls were great and responsive for a Playstation 2 controller, and it didn’t feel like the controls were broken or anything. If I continue to like it after this review, I will, in the future, find a Genesis and get a copy of the game. The difficulty is right in the middle. It’s not too hard, but you won’t breeze through it.

However, I did find a few things I don’t like about this game. The first is that the enemies are sometimes hard to see, and they hit me by accident because I wouldn’t see them clearly. The ice level is also annoying, since I keep slipping and sliding everywhere, and I get lost because of it. I also got really confused on one level, since I didn’t know where to go, and it would have really helped to have the cheat code installed on the PS2 controller to move around through the level.

Overall, this is a good game. It might not be for everyone, but I liked it. I would say, if you have a Genesis, I say go pick it up or get it off the virtual console, though you can get this game and its sequel on the Genesis Collection on the Playstation2. I just wish they would bring Vectorman back. Sadly, since the company is now gone, I don’t see any future of seeing him ever again.

This game gets an 8 out of 10.

Comments