Super Mario Sunshine for the GameCube




Most big franchises usually have a great number of games, but there is always that one game that people call the black sheep of the bunch. Even though I hate that term, I happen to use it myself. Sadly, one of those franchises that have a black sheep is Mario. Yeah, people say that Super Mario Brothers 2 is a black sheep, but I don’t really count it as one. However, there is one game I think is the black sheep of the 3D Mario games, Super Mario Sunshine for the Gamecube. So, is it the black sheep? Or is it a cute cuddly white sheep?

The main story for Mario games isn’t big, but this one is different in a lot of ways. This time Mario is going on vacation with Peach on Isle Delfino, which is cleverly shaped like a dolphin. However, when he reaches the island, it has been covered by some paint-like substance, and after cleaning up the landing pad and meeting up with a nozzle-like machine, he is taken to jail for the reason of him getting framed for all the stuff that has covered the island, though we all know he didn’t do it. After getting released, he has been given the task to clean up the entire island and stop whoever is actually making all the gunk on the island.

Basically, the game play is the same in every Mario game. You jump from platform to platform. This time however, you have the added ability of the contraption on your back. You can use it to shoot a stream of water to clean up things, and use it to hover around. You can gain the added special effects through different nozzles, like a super jump using the jet nozzle, a motor nozzle that can make you run faster, and there are others that you will have to find out. Later in the game, you can find Yoshi eggs by feeding them different fruits depending on the colored egg. Yoshis’ can shoot a special liquid to get rid of certain gunk covering pipes and other things. In each stage, there are about 10 shine sprites to unlock later levels. There are certain challenges like there are some areas where you can’t use the contraption on your back, and the gunk can slow Mario down.

Graphically, I think it’s really good. I know some people harped on that point, but I see nothing wrong with them. They are a LOT better than the ones in Super Mario 64. I like the design of all the characters, and I always enjoy seeing new characters getting introduced, like the island inhabitants and the enemies. The music is also very good since Koji Kondo, who we all know for composing music for Mario and Zelda titles, and Shinobu Tanaka, who has also done multiple Mario titles, composed it. I like the whole set of levels that are set around the water and etc. I always wanted to live by the water, but if I want to work on video games, I will have to find a company near the ocean.

However, there are some things I didn’t really like about it. The difficulty was
raised since the contraption needs water, and it won’t work unless it is filled with the blue liquid. Some of the challenges are a little too tedious, and I just don’t find myself enjoying the ones I hate. Then again, I’m not a completist, so I don’t care if I get them all. The camera is also a little awkward, and sometimes I fail because of it. Some challenges seemed a little repetitive, but not all of them are.
Personally, I enjoy this game and I would say it’s the second best Gamecube game of all time.

all time. I don’t see why people give this game such a bum rap. So yeah, you use a water cannon-like device. So what? You still go through multiple levels filled with plat-forming. I would say to pick this game up for your Gamecube, or if you have a Wii since you can play Gamecube games on the Wii.

This game gets a 9 out of 10

Comments